 Local / Australia / 2628
2627  |  2629
Subject:
NED v6 (was re: Looks like even less availability for us here)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:39:02 GMT

In lugnet.org.au, Paul Baulch writes:

Dave Low wrote in message ...
get someone who is 100% fluent in English to
write their promotional material, instead of
a <expletive indicating a souped-up Babelfish
using a Microsoft thesaurus deleted>.

This "habit" certain people have is becoming
<expletive indicating annoyance at the
insertion of lengthy expressions which
interrupt the flow of the sentence and make
it very difficult to read, deleted> annoying ;-)

Ohhhhh.....I don't know - it read fine on my browser.

Maybe its the way you've got your preferences set - or maybe your version of
Nile's Expletive Delet-o-matic is needing updating.  v6 has been out for a
while, and I'm not sure how backward compatible it is.

The process is now more or less fully automated, and you no longer need to
have matching custom libraries for the translations to work.

See, when David types (in context) the word "<expletive indicating a souped-up
Babelfish using a Microsoft thesaurus deleted>" into his broswer and
presses 'Post Message', his NED automatically replaces it with the
words "expletive indicating a souped-up Babelfish using a Microsoft thesaurus
deleted", and surrounds them with the <> markers, to help distinguish them
from normal text.

That way the innocent and faint of heart are safeguarded against so gruesome
and dangerous a word as <expletive indicating a souped-up Babelfish using a
Microsoft thesaurus deleted>.

When my machine opens the message to view, my NED interprets the context, and
replaces the words "expletive indicating a souped-up Babelfish using a
Microsoft thesaurus deleted" (and the <> markers), with the correct
word: "<expletive indicating a souped-up Babelfish using a Microsoft thesaurus
deleted>".

And on my machine its working perfectly.

The sentence reads, quite correctly:

  "...get someone who is 100% fluent in English to write
  their promotional material, instead of a <expletive
  indicating a souped-up Babelfish using a Microsoft
  thesaurus deleted>."

    with not a "<" or a ">" in sight :-)

I'll see if I can find you a copy of the URL where I got v6 (I probably
deleted the zip).  It might have been Tucows, but I'm not sure.

Interestingly, NED6 still does nothing about some incredibly dangerous words
like history, freedom, tolerance and religion.  Must remember to write the NED
people about that....

Actually, no. <Expletive indicating dismissive contempt deleted> them ;-)

Richard
Still baldly going...
909 and closing...