 Local / Australia / 2465
2464  |  2466
Subject:
Why not...... (was Re: New newsgroup lugnet.football for Football/Soccer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 09:45:21 GMT

In lugnet.football, an ernest Nederlander writes:
Most countries use the term football... so why not the rest of the world?

Excellent idea.

For the Netherlands, most countries use the term 'where?'...so why not.......

And for American Football, most countries use the term 'bollocks'...so why
not.......

And for Australia, most countries use the word 'backwater'...so why not.......

In fact, for a language, most countries choose 'English'...so why not.......

And for a public administration model, most countries use a proprietary
version of nepotism/despotism...so why not.......

Hmmm.  Not so sure about this approach....... ;-)

Maybe its not so bad that we have different ideas about things, and so maybe
its not so bad that we have different words for things.  I'm not entirely
ready for Australia to become just another state among the United States of
America.  Vive la diffèrence! (ish)

Richard
Still baldly going...