 Local / Australia / 2416
2415  |  2417
Subject:
Help wanted with old UK catalogue [long and contains most text/in fo from it.]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 03:56:39 GMT

I'm looking for some information on a catalogue I acquired yesterday in a
bunch of mixed parts from the 50's (?) to possibly the 80's. [Includes CA
bricks, I think]  The main information I'm after is what year the catalogue
was issued for, and what sets it was likely to have come with, or whether it
was a general release catalogue.

The catalogue is English, and was "PRINTED IN GT. BRITAIN" and is 8 pages.
[I'm not describing all pictures or even mentioning most of them, as this
would be entirely too long if I did. I'll try and get scans up tonight, or
failing that, over the weekend.]

Page 1/Cover:
Picture of a boy building a tower with bricks in red, white, blue, yellow,
black, and clear on a grey 700/e plate. There are classic windows and doors,
wheels, but no sloped bricks visible. Below this is a red rectangle with
'LEGO (R)' in white with a black border, and 'The Building Toy' in yellow
below this. At the bottom in a box is 'A THOUSAND TOYS IN ONE'

Page 2/inside cover:

"THE TWO MAGICS OF LEGO

When you open your box of lego you may only see a lot of
gaily covered bricks. Don't be deceived! There's magic in
there as well. Two magics in fact !

THE FIRST MAGIC OF LEGO

Do you want an aeroplane ? It's there in your Lego set. Do you
Want a house and a horse, a castle and a crane, a dragon and
A dolls house, a ship and a shop ? They are all in there and many
More, just waiting for you to build them.
A thousand toys from one box. There's magic for you !

THE SECOND MAGIC OF LEGO

Another magical thing about Lego - all ages enjoy it ! A 3 or
4 year old will build simple things, and 8 year old will create
more realistic models. To a 12 year old Lego is an absorbing
hobby. and Dad ? Well, be careful when he offers to help or
he'll have your Lego for hours !

Lego bricks are so easy to build with, you don't need
Instructions, but here are a few tips . . . . . ."[1]
Below all this is a similar house and building explanation to that at the
bottom right of  the 1965 UK catalogues 4th page on brickshelf.

Page 3: [" ALL prices apply to U.K. only and are subject to alteration"]
"BASIC SETS
TO START YOUR LEGO COLLECTION"
010 11/6
020 17/6
030 27/6
040 37/6
050 55/-
060 79/-
"Even the smallest 010 set will build animals, soldiers and ships as well as
houses. Of course, a bigger set builds more models, gives more fun. The 050
set is a good size to begin with."[2]

Page 4:
Picture of a completed town plan set [with 8 cars and 4 trucks], it's closed
box, and set 700K box.
"Set 810 The Complete Town Plan Set    £7.19.6.
The most wonderful present the Lego enthusiast can receive. The Complete
Town Plan Set contains all the bricks and parts you need as shown above.
Set 700K in strong wooden box. £5.5.0"
Below this is a picture of some models built from 050

Page 5:
Supplementary packs
400 5/- 4 wheels [small], 2 axle bricks towbar and baseplate
401 5/- 2 wheels [large], 2 axle bricks, towbar
402 5/- 3 turntables, 2 baseplates 4x8
409 2/6 38 assorted sized slimbricks
414 5/- 9 windows and a door
416 2/6 4 sixteens, 2 twenties
417 2/6 5 cornerbricks
418 2/6 13 eights
419 2/6 15 sixes
420 2/6 20 fours
421 2/6 [1 wide] 2 eights, 2 sixes, 10 twos, and 10 ones
423 2/6 12 round, 16 curved
426 2/6 7 named beams

Page 6:
427 2/6 8 2x8 plates
428 2/6 5 4x8 plates
429 2/6 4 6x8 plates
430 2/6 6 trees and bushes
431 2/6 shell petrol pump and sign
432 2/6 8 road signs
433 2/6 6 street lamps
434 5/- 50 lettered bricks
435 3/9 garage base with automatic door
437 5/- 50 numbered bricks
442A 2/6 6 international flags
442B 2/6 6 international flags
445 3/- 1 lighting brick [2x4]
480 2/6 14 bevelled bricks
481 2/6 21 bevelled bricks
482 2/6 22 bevelled bricks
483 2/6 angle, valley and cornerbricks
700E 2/6 baseplate 10x20 [brick]
799 15/ baseplate 50x50 [brick]

Page 7:
200 11/6 LEGO Town Pan board
3 1/- Ideas book [replaces books 1 and 2]
? 1/- Anna Miranda and Mark build a House book
"LEGO PULL TOY
The Pull Toy, of jumbo sized Lego bricks is specially designed for Children
of 18 months to 4 years and makes a number of other models."[3]
Set number is 042, and appears to have 9 parts

Page 8/Back cover:
LEGO PLANPACKS
313 19/6 London Bus
314 18/6 Special Wheels Set
315 7/6 Taxi Planpack
323 34/- Train Planpack
325 30/- Shell Garage Planpack
Pictures of all these sets along with the front of each box other than
314's.

I hope that this information is useful in working out where this catalogue
came from, and how old it is.

Notes:
[1] This seems as true now as whenever it was written [about parents [Dad in
this case] taking over.]
[2] I had thought lego was against this sort of things [soldiers] but this
seems to be suggesting children build them...
[3] These are CERTAINLY not DUPLO...the studs appear to be the size of a 4x4
brick. And the wheels are 2x2 BIG studs in size.

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)