 Local / Australia / 216
Re: tour of the northern Brisbane toy shops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 04:46:03 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
I left my cosy orbit of the outer western suburbs and went on a voyage
of discovery and exploration into the northern suburbs of Brisbane. Armed
only with a Yellow Pages (to find them), a credit card (to buy them),
and a Holden Commodore (to carry them all home), I visited toyshops
in the Toowong, Aspley, and Toombul areas on a mission to locate and
purchase large sets: robotics, technics, model team, and space/star wars.
Mission Report:

K-Mart (Toowong and Toombul)
5561 Big Foot model team $59 (no sign of $49 prices reported by
someone the other day)
As I said in a previous message, this is a good set even
at the higher price I paid for it. • $ 116 at K-M(Blacktown), $ 59 at Penrith,Chatswood

7171 Mos Espa Podrace $114 (I saw this elsewhere for over $200)
Personally I thought the Podrace set was overpriced even
at $114 as there didn't seem to be that many pieces in
the set. But I now see that Lugnet says there are 894
pieces so perhaps it's better value than I thought.
$ 94.90 in Sydney - lots of special pieces lots of unusual colours
the racers look very anorexic on the box but are three
ascending sizes.

7161 Gungan Submarine $69 [I've seen it over $100 previously]
The gungan submarine is a fun set, but I don't think it's
worth $100 for 375 pieces (I think Star Wars Episode
1 has an extra "hype" markup). This price $69 seems
more reasonable.
$ 59.90 in Sydney(K-M's) or $136 at Target or $119 at TRU.
Lots of light grey/dark grey bits.

6969 Insectoids Celestial Stinger $80
8257 Technic Cyber strikers $60
6456 Mission Control $60 [see warning below]
I'm sure I remember seeing Mission Control, but my notes
just say "6455 $60" and 6455 is Space Simulation Station.
If I really did see 6456 Mission Control (478 pieces),
then $60 is probably a good price. If I saw 6455 Space
Simulation Station (240 pieces), then $60 probably
*isn't* such a good price. Please double-check if you
are interested in this item.
        Often they have a docket marked low price(usually means $1 off)
        as opposed to clearance where the discounts are heftier.

Note. Coles/Myer shareholders will also get their usual discount
off the clearance prices.
Kerry,what is the discount and how many shares do you need to own and does
it apply across the board.

Mr Toys Toyworld (Aspley, Toombul)

Despite not being listed in their current specials catalogue,
observation suggests that the chain *is* clearing the Space UFO
series, although there isn't much on shelf:

6975 Alien Avenger $80 (down from $131) at Aspley, but better still
6975 Alien Avenger $60 (down from $131) at Toombul -- 2 on shelf

Toyworlds in NSW and VIC have bucketloads as well, any comments to the owners
regarding the slowness is met with much muttering under breath.

Toys'R'Us (at the Pick-n-Pay Hypermarket, Aspley)
I think I saw most items in the 2000 catalogue. The exceptions that
I recall were 8450 Cybermaster Mission expansion set and the RIS
Exploration Mars expansion set; I've never seen these in any store
-- any sightings elsewhere? • No sightings yet.

The downside of this great range was the lack of discounts.
Everything seemed to be full price.

Maybe the end of June ? (one can only hope)
If my credit card ever recovers :-) I will do a similar voyage of
exploration of Brisbane's southern suburbs. Watch this space.

Kerry

thanks Kerry for such an extensive report (please excuse my snippage,look at
Kerry's post for the full message).
the scene in Brisbane seems very similar to Sydney pricewise,
we await your next report.

-pete.w.