 Local / Australia / 2126
Re: a parental perspective...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:30:47 GMT

I agree with a lot that Deidre said in the original post. I am the parent of
a 4 1/2 year old daughter. She had Primo and Duplo as a baby, the Primo was
a waste of time, the Duplo is still being used, but not much any more. As
other parents have noted, she too, has never realised that Duplo and Lego
elements are compatible. She built her first small lego model (some wheels
attached to a plate and some transparent pieces) at just two years of age.
She has built a few small impulse sets following the instructions. At this
stage she does not do much building of her own models. She relates more to
playing Lego as having quality time with me, it is an activity we do to-
gether. Her favourite sets are Belville, but not the current witches and
fairies sets, she preferred the others with more "real themes", the girls
camping, the playground sets, the beach sets. She also enjoys my Town sets
that are part of the train layout, she will move vehicles and mini-figs
around the town to recreate everyday things. She also enjoys experimenting
with various Technic pieces, seeing how they can fit together, but not as
yet actually creating anything (but that will come). I think her father is
looking forward to when she is a little bit older, to be able to demonstrate
a lot of engineering concepts using the Technic pieces.
Frances