 Local / Australia / 1851
Re: Possibly another GST infringement? What RRP for 6083?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 03:08:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons writes:
In lugnet.org.au, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:

Phew! I was envisioning leaving a trail of ACCC destruction behind me
everywhere I went.

I wouldn't get too worried.

Hmmm.  Just because the ACCC is 'looking after you with the GST', and Alan
Fels is jumping about like a liberl party apologist does not mean you'll be
leaving a trail of destruction.

Proving that your pricing is based on your best understanding of your costs is
not a real hard thing to do, and if you can do that (at the local shop level),
I understand that ACCC has no power to intervene.  The ACCC has some rather
specific powers, which probably do not extend much beyond monstering at the
local toyshop level.

And who wants a communist style price surveillance and enforcement anyway?
All that leads to larger, stupider government, and queues and shortages for
essentials.

No need to foul our own nests, I guess, if we want to grab those sale prices.

Let the market do its work.  If the pricing is too expensive, buy somewhere
else.  If you want to really rub it in, tell them how much you're going to
spend somewhere else :-)

Whisper it to other shoppers too.

Not only have we had to pay for the Liberal Party shamelessly promoting itself
at the tax office's expense (and that would be out of our pocket), now the
ACCC is spending public money on promoting itself and making us all feel
better about how well the GST is being handled.

Maybe we should just give up and surrender our wallets....

Looks like the choice for the next election is one GST V another GST.

pete.w