 Local / Australia / 1667
Re: Possible ways for LA to increase sales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 03:42:58 GMT

I'm not up to speed with most of the other theme's so I'll comment on the
Trains.

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
With LA's insistence that lego doesn't seem to see well down here, and legos
emphasis on breaking each set down into seperate packaging within a main
package, wouldn't it make more sense for TLG to return to modular design. To
do this, all they need to do is to keep 1 or two major sets, a few minor
sets, and also sell the major, seperated sets component models as individual
sets. To supplement this [or as a different marketing idea], they could also
do the folowing:

Trains:
Ideally produse 1 or 2 trains as done now.

The rate things are going you'll be lucky to see a new train every 2 years,
which means we're up for another this year.

I believe there should be two trains available in Aus at the moment, the ugly
blue one, and the ugly black/red one. Either way you get an ugly one, which is
why I haven't got any.

Also, produce:
1-3 engines

Fat chance, since the Austrian Federal Railways Croc loco, nothings been out
by way of Locomotives to pull trains.

2-6 different carriages [freight, passenger, etc]

We haven't seen any additional carriages since about 1996, Australia isn't a
market for train accessories it seems.

1-3 different stations, ranging from a small platform with timetable [like
7715] to a big station.

I'd love that, but again, the Metrostation was the last station available in
Australia, even the current station is not available here.

1-4 different 'utility sets', including track maintenance, signals, level
crossings, freight/vehicle loading area, etc

Maintenance vehicles are in the same category as the above 'carriages'.
Signals? 9v signals? no such thing. It is something that people want:
therefore Lego wont think about producing it.

Level crossings, now we have actually seen both 9v types here, though you wont
find them anymore.

Freight loading. Again,the current freight station is not available here.
Support Lego Australia: buy from overseas :-)

Continue with tracks, maybe with bridge ramps and supports

At least tracks is one thing You can find plenty of, at $29 a pack though, I
always wait for specials, at least 20% discounts.

And, as TLG is going to be selling S@H sets through Lego Direct [Including
Exclusives], why not also sell the extra sets like I've listed above through
this service as well. This would mean that TLG aren't risking having a huge
range just sitting on shelves, as they would only need to produce a small
quantity, and then expand it's production if the need arises. [after all,
that's what happened with LD parts range] With a 2-3 year turnover of sets,
children would have a good opportunity to create a better range where all
the sets are connected and interchangeable].

Children? you don't need Children, you just sell a product to anyone. Who ever
needed children! remembe,r best known brand by 2005. Better start marketing to
those kids who are just a twinkle in their parents eyes.

"Don't give what customers what they want, convince them to want what you can
give"

I think that this sums up the current state of Lego (and just about any other
big business now too.

I blame marketing, and I don't apologise if I've upset any marketers.

Santosh
(*rant*rant*whinge*rant*)