 Local / Australia / 1466
RE: What do other parents do with Lego guns?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 05:35:53 GMT

Well, we have a similar policy for our guns.  I collect them and keep them
in a container separated from our main Lego collection.  In fact, we have
all guns, cannons, swords and most spears in there (some spears are used
because they can be used for masts and rods to clip things on).  But none of
my kids would even think of using these elements in anything they build.  In
fact, if they find any of these pieces that have accidentally gotten mixed
into our collection, they bring them to me or their mom right away.

I used to worry about this, thinking my kids would grow up weird, or without
any understanding of how to treat weapons.  But I'm much more comfortable
with it now.  None of our kids show any sign of being hampered socially or
emotionally by being deprived of playing with guns and swords.  And it is a
much more consistent approach for our household to just not have these types
of toys about.

So, that's how we deal with it.  I don't, however, throw them away. I just
keep them safely stored in a yogurt container by my computer :).

Kim