 Local / Australia / 14300
14299  |  14301
Subject:
Powco - a new Chinese clone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:22:57 GMT

I was in Mr Toys Toyworld at Indooroopilly today. Nothing incredibly
exciting there. A bit of this and that.

But I did notice what looks like a new Chinese clone brand. I did not have
my reading glasses with me (sign of age!) but the brandname seemed to be
POWCO and it was made in China. There were maybe 4 or 5 sets of varying
sizes (300 - 600 pieces), mostly Paradisa-style houses and one that looked
something like the 10037 Breezeway Cafe. I don't think they were direct
copies of Lego sets, more "in the style".

As the boxes were sealed, I did not get a look at the contents. But the box
did say "color and product may vary". Given past experience with Chinese
clones (the old Shifty Brick), I think that's a fair warning that what's in
box may not too closely resemble the artwork on the box. With Shifty Brick,
you always had the feeling that there were 3 teams: the ones who picked the
bricks, the ones who wrote the instructions and the ones do did the box art,
and that they never actually talked to each other.

The boxes were certainly "cheap and nasty" looking and they were much bigger
in size than you might have expected for 300-600 parts. It looks like the
Chinese have learned about "Danish air" too.

I actually wonder how well these clones will sell as they seemed to be
priced around 10c per piece, so they were no bargain at $30-$60. Given that
the store also had the Lego set 4954 Model Town House with 1174 pieces for
$90, the clone was certainly not well priced on a per piece basis (and given
the unknown quality of the POWCO parts). Indeed, I think the physical box
size of the Model Town House was about on par with the largest of the clone
set. Of course, if you are parent with only $50-$60 to spend and you want a
"lego" house, then you might walk away with the clone set.

Anyone had any closer encounters with this clone brand who can comment on
the actual brick quality. I've been prepared to experiment with the clones
when they are dirt cheap, but that's not the case here.

Kerry