 Local / Australia / 10798
Re: U.S. Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 02:34:22 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Paul Baulch writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Paul Sinasohn writes:

The US is a pretty big place - about the size of your continent. Where in
the US is your colleague staying?

He's staying somewhere just south of L.A. - probably near Santa Ana or
Laguna Beach I think.

In that case he will be pretty close to both Legoland California (which is
in Carlsbad) and the Lego Imagination Center at Disneyland (in Anaheim).

Here's a link to LEGO's page about the LIC at Disneyland:
   http://www.lego.com/eng/legostores/legostores.asp?Store=2&Content=features
Legoland's web page is http://www.lego.com/eng/legoland/california/

The Lego Imagination Center has a pretty good selection of the current
product line, including a good assortment of Shop@Home exclusives (such as
Legends, MOC, and sculptures).  Last time I was there (about 6 months ago)
they still had some of the <set:633> for US$3.99 each, otherwise they didn't
have anything unusual.

The various shops in Legoland usually have the current retail selection at
full price, plus bins of small (30-90 piece), recently discontinued sets for
around 10-30% off.  Sometimes larger sets are on sale, too, but usually they
aren't discounted much.  The big shop near the entrance has a few Shop@Home
exclusives, but usually not as much as the LIC in my experience. (Although I
haven't been to Legoland for about a year and a half, so this may have
changed.)  They sometimes have a limited selection of bulk bricks available
at one of the shops in the park .. the location has changed a few times, so
I don't know where the bulk bricks are right now.

That part of California has an absurd number of Target stores (I can't cover
more than half of them during the annual clearance rush, and even then I
spend far too much on gasoline!) as well as a large number of Kmart and
Toys'R'Us stores and some Wal*Marts, but unfortunately this is the wrong
time of year to find anything at clearance prices (except at some Kmart
stores which are closing).

I don't know much about what sets aren't available at retail in Australia,
but I don't think there's anything particularly special available in the US
right now which isn't available everywhere.  There aren't any promotional
sets or anything like that.  We should be starting to get some of the spring
releases in stores, but I haven't seen them yet.

--
Tim Buchheim