 Local / Australia / 10610
Re: Paymate?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:43:36 GMT

Anyone tried these guys? http://www.paymate.com.au/

Looks similar to Paypal, but in aus dollars. They accept payments from
buyers in 41 countries, but sellers only in aus (obviously).

Not entirely like Paypal. In paypal, you have an account with a balance. In
paymate, you are doing the transfer direct into your bank account. The paymate
WWW site has a comparison with unnamed USA alternative (presumably paypal?). In
its present form, it appears that paymate is cheaper for transactions within
Australia than UnnamedUSA , but then why not use normal bank direct deposit in
the first place?

For overseas buyers, paymate is more expensive than UnnamedUSA for the buyer,
but cheaper for the Australian seller. So, an overseas buyer will prefer to pay
you with Unnamed and not paymate. So if you only offer paymate, it's a
two-edged sword. You might pay less fees but you might deter buyers who are not
familiar with paymate or do not wish to sign up for yet another account.

Similarly, as paymate does not allow you to pay people overseas, most of us
(who both buy and sell) would need to have paypal still for that purpose, so
you then have the problem of having to move money between the systems (and
having yet another username/password etc to remember).

For me (a very occasional seller), the disadvantages of using paymate (in
conjunction with paypal) seem to outweigh the advantages. If you are a big-time
seller with overseas buyers falling over themselves to buy from you, you may be
in a position to demand payment by paymate and hence reduce your costs (and
hopefully your buyers will put up with it because they are desperate for what
you're selling). But I think you can expect to get a huge amount of email
saying "but I want to pay with paypal".

According to the paymate WWW site, overseas payments and other currencies etc
are all coming Real Soon Now. Maybe when that happens, it's worth
reconsidering, but I think the ubiquity of paypal is always going to be a
strong reason to stick with paypal. In that regard, paymate is a "me too"
company, wanting to cash in on the success of an idea established by others.
However, to succeed they have to achieve critical mass (as paypal has already
done IMHO), and to do that, they have to have a much better service, but I
don't see that this is the case.

My 10c on why I'm not signing up with paymate.

Kerry