 Local / Australia / 10297
Re: Plane Sailing? (was Re: 10024Red Baron)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:51:48 GMT

In lugnet.reviews, Allister McLaren writes:
Surely for the purposes of a complete test, and the public demand nothing
less, you could have replaced the rare brown one with a common or garden
grey one.

Allister

Indeed I could have. Actually I also have a Shifty Bricks shovel in the
required brown colour.

However, to do so would have raised further questions:

- Are dark grey LEGO shovels as strong as brown LEGO shovels?

-(In fact, do all LEGO colours have the same strength?)

- Is Shifty plastic the same strength as the pure LEGO ABS?

- Am I prepared to recklessly endanger a dark grey shovel to test the
strength of a product which *doesn't use a dark grey shovel*?

These questions (properly answered as no idea, I doubt it, I doubt it and
probably not) fell outside the scope of my investigation.

I would have been justified in not including the 'bumpy landing' test in my
published results, because it really is not a measure of swooshability.

However, along with my initial claim of swooshability for the Baron, I made
a claim of robustness, thus I don't think it would be fair to exclude this
data from my findings, even if not strictly relevent to the published aim.

The shovel is perhaps the most innovative piece use in the set, and though
it may not pass (or even, in my case, be subjected to) objective robustness
testing, I think the LEGO designers should be applauded for this one.

Richie