 Licensed / 30
29  |  31
Subject:
LEGO Launches Wrist Watch Collection For Adults
Newsgroups:
lugnet.licensed, lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2013 23:46:51 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGO Launches Wrist Watch Collection For Adults

Written by Ariel Adams for ABlogtoWatch.com on October 2, 2013.

We are proud to be the first to announce a new collection of LEGO brand watches for adults. That’s right, LEGO, which has had a large collection of kids watches for years, will soon launch a comprehensive collection of timepieces for men and women in November 2013. These are among the very few plastic watches we would wear. What is fun is that despite being sized (and styled) for adults (at least adults in terms of age), the LEGO watches for adults have as many fully swappable parts as the kids versions have.

Officially, these timepieces are referred to as the LEGO Watch System because pieces such as the bracelet links and bezels can be interchanged with each other. The links for the bracelet can be arranged in a series of colors and styles, but we think most people will enjoy them in solid colors (as they come out of the box). Though, it is fun to play. I grew up with LEGO models so this watch collection is sort of a big deal. While inexpensive and cheeky, it is a fun reminder of something that had a big impact on my youth.

While I was able to get a hands-on look at the pre-production watches, I don’t have all the specs. I would say the cases are probably 40mm wide, and made out of plastic. Most LEGO watches are either white, blue, yellow, or black in color. Though some select models come in pink, orange, or red. The variety of colors and styles is really impressive as they range from silly to rather sensible.

As you can see, LEGO is offering both analog and digital dials for its new collection of adult watches. We suspect most people will gravitate toward the analog dials as they better serve to promote the LEGO theme. What is better than LEGO building brick hour indicators (LEGO Brick watch)? Or, my personal favorite model, the LEGO Fan Club whose dial features raised LEGO person faces with various facial expressions as the hour indicator which strikes me as the best of honoring your youth of brick laying the friendly silliness of the brand as evidenced by the upcoming LEGO movie.

Other models include the LEGO Happiness, and LEGO Skull, the latter having a LEGO brick skull on the dial. What is it with skulls that even LEGO has to have one? You’ll notice that some of the customization options go beyond mere color swaps.

In addition to watches featuring just the time, there are adult LEGO watches with a day/date complication, chronograph, and calendar. Some versions even have a magnifier lens on the crystals to help read the date more easily. Legibility is pretty good on all the watches, and the novelty value is very high...

People who grew up with LEGO bricks and models will probably instantly be into these watches. I have to say that I am going to seriously considering not wearing a high-end Swiss watch to wear these for a while. Speaking of which, the watches (produced in China) will contain Japanese quartz movements. The cases are mostly in plastic, but some are also partially aluminum or steel. The crystals are mineral glass, and the watches are water resistant from about 50 meters to 100 meters depending on the model.

ClicTime, the same people who make the LEGO watches for children will be producing the LEGO adult watches. I for one am pretty excited about these and think they will do very well. Perhaps most people won’t take advantage of the customization features of the watch, but I think they’ll enjoy the variety of the designs well enough. LEGO Watch System adult watches will be available starting November 2013 with a price range of between $85 - $185.

LEGOwatches.com

Images and pictures of the watches are on the website.

From: ABlogToWatch.com

-end of report-