 LEGOLAND / California / 89
88  |  90
Subject:
ColorJam Preview - June 16
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:37:36 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

For those who want it brief: it was a lot of fun!  Everyone from kids to
adults were dancing at the finale.

For those who have more time: it was a lot of fun!  My wife, daughter (22
mos.), and I went to the passholders' preview Friday, June 16th.  The preview
part started at 5pm, we got there around 5:30.  The official version of events
is quoted below[1], but here's how it goes in a nutshell.

Four areas in the park are designated as "block"s and are each given a color.
Then, once an hour, in each block a group of 5 or 6 brightly colored dancers
come out and get the kids clapping and dancing with them.  They have a small
dance routine based on their color.  Then at the end the dancers teach the kid
a dance move.  Blue Jam in the Imagination Zone is "cool" and they teach hand-
clapping.  Yellow Jam on Castle Hill is more castle themed, has a jester, and
teach foot-stomping.  Red Jam in Miniland we didn't see, but they teach
rolling your arms up to the sky.  Green Jam in Village Green is "groovy" and
they teach arm-waving.

I know this sounds kind of silly, but kids get really into this.  These mini-
jams occur four times in each block, about once an hour.  The last one happens
around 8:00, and after the mini-show, the leaders then lead a march from their
block to the ColorJam stage in funtown.  The stage is in the plaza in front of
the Adventurer's Club and the Factory Tour, and covers the fountain - which I
assume they turned off. ;)  While the marchers are coming the LEGO Maniac
dances on the stage to warm up the already-waiting crowd.  After all the
marchers arrive the main dancers take to the stage and show off their
movements, while the crowd uses their new-foud dancing skills to imitate them.

It seemed a little corny to me, but it was very easy to become absorbed in
it.  And it was a lot of fun to watch all the kids dancing and having a ball.
Unfortunately by the time Color Jam was into full swing our daughter decided
she was tired and got very upset about the loud music and flashing lights, so
we had to go.  But she had fun up until then.

This is going to be a lot of fun this summer, especially for those of you
coming to the Kidvention with your kids.  You may just want to make sure
they've napped first, because it can be kind of late depending on their age.
Also, this is an excellent time to browse the Big Shop while all the little
kids are dancing on the other side of the Park.  I'm looking forward to
experiencing it again!

John Gramley

[1]"ColorJam is an evening festival of colors, lights, music, dance and
excitement that pulls families into the heart of the fun.

"Starting each evening around 5, Mini Jams will be staged in four different
blocks of the Park – the Blue Jam in the Imagination Zone, the Yellow Jam on
Castle Hill, the Red Jam in Miniland and the Green Jam in Village Green. Each
Mini Jam incorporates dancers, music “themed” to the color, and a specific
crowd participation element – clapping, foot stomping, circling hands and
waving arms – depending on which “color block ” guests are in. They’re
encouraged to visit each Mini Jam to experience all the colors, see four
different shows, and learn each interactive element for the grand finale.

"The culmination begins at dusk every evening when all guests are urged to
make their way to Fun Town for the big ColorJam Dance Party. Banks of
brilliantly hued lights, high-energy music, streamers and dancing in the
streets will transform Fun Town into an exciting celebration of colors, sound
and movement. This is a chance for guests to be part of the show with crowd
participation moves they learned at each Mini Jam."

More information can be found at:
http://www.legolandca.com/news.asp?i=237&timeframe=4