 LEGOLAND / California / 804
Re: Master Model Builder Search 2006 Kicks off Monday at LLCA!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 06:25:36 GMT

In lugnet.legoland.california, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:
   In lugnet.announce, Ted Michon wrote:
   A new Model Builder Search for 2006 kicks off at LEGOLAND California on Monday February 20th. The park will hold auditions for someone to eventually win a job as a LEGOLAND Master Model Builder. The Monday event runs from 3pm to 7pm. More more info and registration is at http://www.legolandmodelbuilder.com. As in the original 2004 event, auditions will be held across the country, this time in Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Francisco, Chicago, Dallas and New York City. But for all you Southern Callifornia LEGOLAND locals, the main event is Monday!

Here’s the posted text:snipped

***On the job training will be provided***

(I especially like the last line, in case anyone needs it!)

-Ted
SCLTC

I would suggest to anyone considering applying, to really consider the financial burden of living in Southern California, making $14ish an hour. It’s hard to find an apt. on that kind of salary.

Also, be ready to ask some tough questions about how much creative imput you’ll actually have, what kind of non-building responsibilities you’ll have: eg. maintenance, installation, dirty work, inventory, etc.

I am willing to honestly answer any specific questions applicants may have about my experience with LLCA. See above for my email address.

Aaron

Hello all. Aaron is right. Living in SO CAL is not cheap. The salary provided is really only a fraction of what is required to be able to afford California, as a single individual. If you have family responsibilities, forget it. If your lifestyle is ok sharing an apartment with roommates, or living in a small studio, and have NO financial obligations. Then yes, you are ok in that side of things.

If you are really talented, and have lots of creative ideas, and are really excited for this oportunity, then be reminded that it will not be immediately when you will be required to give input on how models should be built. You will be required to have on the job training, which consists of copy building other designers models,sometimes as many as 500 copies of the same model, this will go on for a not too short period of time, depending on which projects are been done at the time. You will also be doing a lot of maintenance, and fixing broken models, glued Lego bricks, (not easy to separate), getting dirty, dealing with power tools, dirt, and black widow spiders (crawling inside models), and other insects, which is far away from building cool new creations, in the comfort of your living room.

Even though, when you get a chance to build a new model, it will most surely be some model that has already been defined by someone else, higher up in the corporate spiral. Usually the theme is decided from high high above, and the content is only created in the shop. So that means that 85% of the conceiving cool models is done elsewhere, behind a desk.

A word of advice... If you have your heart set on it.. Try it!!! It is sooo worth it! AN AMAZING AND UNFORGETTABLE experience. But always, always, have a plan B to fall back to.

From another former model designer.

William