 LEGOLAND / California / 628
Re: LEGOLAND to kick-off Sweeps month on "Yes Dear"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:25:39 GMT

Hey,

Did anyone else watch this?  I've never seen it before but there are these two
dads who are _____ (brothers?  brothers in law?).  One is cool and fun, the
other is responsible and boring (hey, wait, isn't this My Two Dads? or maybe
Full House?).  They take their sons to "take your child to work day", and the
sons are very bored with responsible dad's office job, but have a lot of fun
with cool dad's job as a security guard.  Responsible dad feels bad, like his
kid likes the cool dad more, so he rents the Oscar Mayer weinermobile to drive
both families to Legoland CA.  This leads to the part that would be most
interesting to AFOLs.
--We see the family walking through miniland, with shots of different buildings.
The one woman always says "LEGO", but the two dads always say "LEGOs".  Not that
I care, but I know some find that grating.  I was actually surprised because I
would have thought that LLCA would have had script approval and they would have
flagged that.
--The two dads take the kids on the dragon roller coaster.  It sure seemed a lot
longer on the show than it seems in real life.  Responsible dad has motion
sickness and pukes on his own son.
--Responsible dad isn't feeling well, so he stays in one of those buildings down
by the Aquazone ride where you can build things while the rest of the family
goes on other rides.  He ends up building that giant technic dinosaur.  Cool dad
can only build a 4x4 stack of bricks.  All the kids now think responsible dad is
cool afterall.  He promises to get all of his LEGO bricks that are packed away
at grandma's house so his kid can learn to build cool things.
--In the final joke, after we've seen some touching moment between responsible
dad and his wife, the wife says that cool dad took off for a few days to go to
Mardi Gras.  Then we see cool dad shrunk down with video editing hanging out in
miniland, shouting "Show us your pegs" at the brick-built women in the Mardi
Gras parade.  A bit anacronistically a minifig that is also blown up to miniland
scale walks past and he tries to hit on her.

Anyway, it was mildly amusing.  The show itself isn't anything I'll watch again,
but it was nice to see lots of shots of miniland and a couple other areas of the
park.  This still didn't hold a candle to the Simpsons Blocko-Land episode.

It would be cool to shrink down to mini scale and hang out in miniland for a
couple of days, though.  :)

Bruce