 LEGOLAND / 435
434  |  436
Subject:
Local Officials Impressed With Merlin Entertainment, Owner Of LEGOLAND, On Trip to Britain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.legoland
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2010 03:19:09 GMT

Local Officials Impressed With Merlin Entertainment, Owner Of LEGOLAND, On Trip to Britain

By Kyle Kennedy
THE LEDGER

Published: Monday, May 17, 2010

LAKELAND - Local officials are buzzing about LEGOLAND Florida after visiting the attraction’s Windsor location.

A delegation of more than 40 county and private business officials attended the overseas trip last week and saw the operations of LEGOLAND owner Merlin Entertainments Group, which is based in England.

Merlin acquired Winter Haven’s defunct Cypress Gardens theme park in January and is redeveloping the site as LEGOLNAD Florida. It is projected to open in late fall 2011.

Participants on the Windsor trip say they’re convinced Merlin has what it takes to succeed in Central Florida’s competitive tourism industry.

‘I know a lot of people are thinking, ‘There’s Disney, there’s Universal,’ but once you go through their park, you understand why someone would extend their trip for a full day or two,’ to visit LEGOLAND Florida, said Marshall Goodman, chief executive of the University of South Florida Polytechnic. ‘They have no idea about the tenacity of Merlin Entertainment and the breadth of experience and capital they’re bringing to this park. I think it’s a very different model.’

Goodman said he was particularly impressed by the park’s LEGO replicas of major cities, as well as educational partnerships with schools that emphasize science, robotics and the environment. Goodman said attendees viewed an artist’s rendition of LEGOLAND Florida, but he would not discuss details.

Buzz Tarver, who owns a State Farm office in Lakeland, said Merlin’s financial strength will be an asset to LEGOLAND Florida.

‘I was a little curious as to what their financial backing is. We’ve certainly had a few businesses make a go of the Cypress Gardens concept, a few big players, and they’ve had limited success,’ said Tarver. ‘I have a feeling LEGOLAND has financial staying power. They have knowledge of their market and they’re committed to Florida.’

Tarver noted that Merlin’s industry experience should prove valuable ó the company operates 60 attractions in 13 countries, drawing more than 35 million visitors total in 2009.

Merlin, the world’s second-largest owner of tourist attractions, currently operates four LEGOLAND parks - three in Europe and one in California. The Windsor location includes more than 50 interactive rides and attractions and has a full-time staff of 155 people, in addition to a seasonal staff of 775, according to its website.

Merlin officials plan to spend roughly $150 million in developing the Winter Haven site, Tarver said.

Chris Nikdel, owner of Winter Haven marketing firm Clark/Nikdel/Powell, said LEGOLAND Florida should be a good employer for the Winter Haven area.

‘I thought the company was first-rate. I talked to the human resources director and they take a lot of time with selection of the type of personality they want working for their company, to be their brand ambassador,’ Nikdel said. ‘They actually shared that they don’t have much turnover.’

Nikdel’s firm handles marketing operations for the Central Florida Visitors and Convention Bureau, and she said they will be integrating LEGOLAND presence into promotional materials for local tourism.

Winter Haven Mayor Jeff Potter said he was impressed by LEGOLAND Windsor’s emphasis on hands-on attractions, as well as the park’s focus on its target audience: kids.

‘Disney is more of a visual attraction, and LEGOLNAD is more to-do and sensory-oriented,’ Potter said. He said LEGOLAND has enough activities to warrant a two-day visit and seems engaging for both youths and their parents/grandparents.

Non-government employees attending the Windsor trip had to pay their own way, though some costs were covered by sponsorships. Potter said LEGOLAND officials plan to share more information with the community about LEGOLAND Florida in early July.

theledger.com

-end of report-