 LEGOLAND / 325
Re: LEGOLAND mid June update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:18:35 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Ted Michon wrote:
In lugnet.legoland, J. Spencer Rezkalla wrote:
In lugnet.legoland, Ted Michon wrote:

The KSC Miniland island is carved out of a hillside. Oddly, the stuff seemed
made at different scales so that the shuttle was not only too big for the
VAB, but too big for the door of its gantry.

I'd imagine it just isn't feasible/desirable to build a more properly scaled
VAB, nor is sacrificing the resolution of the shuttle stack/pad. Keep in mind
just how much the VAB dwarfs the orbiter stack:

Spencer-

Making models always sacrifices detail, especially in LEGO, but maintaining
common scale at least provides a sense of how everything works together.

Sometimes. And sometimes not, if you can arrange your backdrop to be done with
forced perspective, it can really bring a display to life and make it seem much
bigger. c.f. some of the PNLTC displays which use it, or some MichLTC displays
which played with it.(1)

The VAB
is the world's largest building, and shrinking it relative to the shuttle
definitely takes away the wow factor. In this instance, since the Miniland
section is against a steep hillside, they might have used a scale painted
backdrop and only included a few inches of the building jutting out from the
painting. I've walked in the shadow of the real thing and its BIG. Heck, even
the threads on the mobile launch erector are big.

They may have been going for selective compression, or forced perspective. The
VAB is a long ways away from the rocket garden in real life. I bet most of the
mundanes won't even notice the error.

1 - It should be noted that you're talking to the guy whose buildings were in
the forced perspective MichLTC displays that I refer to. Spencer's microfig
scale skyscrapers were the hit of those show and worked quite well used that
way.