 LEGOLAND / 246
245  |  247
Subject:
Family Huddle trip report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:41:16 GMT

Went to this event with my wife, son, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law.  The
park was understandably a bit busier than it normally is for a Thursday
since it was Family Huddle day.  I'm not positive, but I think they made
more Ambassador parking spots out front.  They seemed to have listened to my
complaints from last time!  Now if they'd only fix their spotty mailing
list, I'd be much happier.  I didn't even know of this event expect through
lugnet.

Out front they had an Upper Deck (a baseball card company) ice cream truck
handing out free ice cream bars to people.  Just inside the park, they had
Dan the Del Taco Product guy - you know, the guy who mocks Taco Bell in all
their commericals.  He was handing out Del Taco pencils, airplanes, and $5
gift certificates depending on what color brick you pulled from his bucket.
Nearly didn't recognize him since he was much shorter than I thought and his
complexion seemed to be a mess that day.  They had other little booths for
different organizations there too, but I didn't pay too much attention to them.

LLC made this large model of the Superbowl trophy out of 2x4 metallic grey
(according to Henry Lim's color scale or pearl light grey according to
Bricklink) bricks.  I think this is a color that's never been offered by
Lego to the general public.  Anyways, they had several bins of the stuff and
I asked the attendant what they were for.  He said that those were the
leftovers and we were free to play with them.  I asked if I could have some
and he gave them out to my party.

Did the normal tour of LLC.  Watched about 2 minutes of the Jessica Simpson
concert.  Left because they played the music way too loud for little kids.
Judging by the large steady stream of parents leaving with us, I think
others felt the same way.

Nothing interesting on sale.  Just the dregs again.  Some Alpha Team stuff
mostly.  Some Dinosaur.  And that was it.  They did have new "grab bags"
filled with different K8 looking pieces for $7.  The ones they had were
pretty useless, unless you are thinking of entering next year's lame part
competition.  I saw one bag that consisted of just junk like the stands from
the mini-heroes sets and canopies from Alpha Team.

Didn't see any football players I recognized though I heard from employees
that Drew Brees (who I saw on stage at the Jessica Simpson Concert), John
Elway (!), and Marcus Allen (!) were there.

Upon leaving we all got the Family Huddle promo brick.  I had asked how to
get this brick earlier in the day.  The people at the exit said customer
service had them.  The customer service people said that the exit people had
them.  Ah, the infamous LLC runaround.  I asked if I could see what one
looked like and the Customer Service person pulled one out and said that
you'd get exactly one as you left the park and that they hoped they would
have enough to go around.  Turns out she was correct, but they didn't start
giving them out till much later in the day.  Everyone who left earlier
missed out on these.

It's a green Duplo brick with a Lego football player on one side and the
Family Huddle sign on the other.  Judging by the day's attendance and the
way kids were chucking them in the parking lot, I'd say it's going to turn
into one of the rarer promo bricks.

Jimmy