 LEGOLAND / 174
Re: Kidvention in 2001?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:46:58 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Call me silly, but what is/was Kidvention?

Duq

Kidvention was in mid-July last year and was the special "LEGO-Maniac" week.
In addition to the usual LEGOland fun, those who signed up for the special
Kidvention pass were allowed to go to a special area where LEGO was
previewing yet-to-be released new sets (highlights included the Moviemaker
set, the Statue of Liberty, mosaic kits).  There were other events such as
the Morning Muster where the modelmakers gave special presentations and the
Star Wars scavenger hunt.  There were other outside events in the evening
for entertainment such as frisbee catching dogs and bicycle stunt riders.
LEGO had also paid for some AFOL's to come out and show their stuff such as
the L-Draw folks and one of the train groups (I think it was GMLTC - pardon
me if I'm wrong).

I actually would be surprised if LEGO did it again (at least anytime soon)
because during the few days I was there it seemed like they may have over
estimated the number of "maniacs" who would be in attendance and so I'm
guessing they probably lost some money on the week.

However, I enjoyed the heck out of it and while I probably wouldn't go
through the effort and expense to go just for it I was curious if they were
attempting to do it again.

G.

P.S. You can probably find some old postings related to the event by doing a
search on "Kidvention" in the train newsgroup or this one.