 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6268
Re: 10183 instructions in PDF please?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:11:41 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Michael Shiels wrote:
   I have reported this situation to a contact within LEGO CAnada, and hopefully they can work it up the chain/get someone to quickly create PDFs, surely LDD 2.0 can be used to just generate a printable version of the instructions. Heck I’d do it myself but I am not sure I want to risk my development machine right now.

While LDD 2 does have a HTML export, it has a couple of drawbacks:
  1. It produces fairly low-res images
  2. The images are all from the same viewpoint (wherever you’re viewing from in LDD when you export I think)
  3. The images are clipped if the viewpoint is badly selected
  4. The scaling of the part images can be confusing
  5. I’m not sure how it selects which parts go in each step, and if that can be customised
Note that you could possibly get multiple viewpoints (2 above) by exporting the entire model from all required viewpoints then mix ‘n’ matching, but that could be a fairly annoying process.

I realise that creating normal standard instructions costs money, even before they are printed, and that is probably why they went with LDD only, but I think maybe it was a mistake.

Also, as noted on my latest cross-reference update, the instructions for the main model (included in the set) are already available from lego.com as a PDF.

ROSCO