 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 609
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:56:11 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Matthew Miller writes:
I think Scott is right on this one. While censorship usually has the
implication of morality-judgements, it's also used in the sense of keeping
things secret. Think of a military censor, watching the media to keep out
any information that might give away important tactical information (or sway
public opinion). Same sorta thing.

I have always believed that censorship was something which happened (or did
not happen) before something is published (or not published).  Although
retroactive censorship by a third party (if that is what you consider has
occurred here) may still be contain the word "censorship," it certainly isn't
censorship in the usual sense.  To the military example, the military censor's
job is to make sure that the media doesn't get any sensitive information in
the first place.  Since there is no automatic or manual review mechansim on
lugnet for ensuring that posts do not contain sensitive information, I don't
think the military example applies here.

--Todd

Agreed. And thanks for digging up the cyberlaw cite, those were the very cases
I was referring to, although I was incorrect in referring to Compuserve as a
common carrier, their defense was the library defense. (Believe it or not, I
think there was a case very early in the history of the telephone in which a
telephone company was allegedly held to be party to a libel suit but it was
quickly established that telephone companies are carriers, not publishers, and
therefore not liable for what is transmitted through them, but conversely not
protected by freedom of speech protections that publishers enjoy.)

It's clear to me that Lugnet is more like the Compuserve model than it is the
Prodigy model, which featured active editing and enforcement actions against
individual postings. But is it enough like Compuserve to be free of "editorial
control"? I don't think so. Hence my concern. You have to be VERY close to
unrestricted flow to be the library model. It helps that Lugnet disclaims
copyright on material authored by participants, but it's not enough.

++Lar