 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 6027
6026  |  6028
Subject:
Were the first American Lego sets (1961) ever produced?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:41:01 GMT

Jake,

I know you are busy, but could you please refer this question to someone who
might know.

Lego came to the USA via licensee Samsonite (and Schwayder Bros.) of Denver
Colorado in 1961.

Here is a copy of that first catalog that came with all sets and parts packs.

chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_d2.jpg

Were the 2 largest sets (#725 Town Plan and #717 Junior Constructor) and the
Town Plan board (#246) ever really sold here or in Canada (starting in 1962)?

In all my 44 years of collecting and playing with Lego (since 1960 when I got my
first set (#700/1) from my uncle in Germany, a year before Lego arrived in the
USA), I have never seen one of these three sets.  The only ones I have seen are
the later versions of all 3 that show up in the 1963 catalog.  They are the Town
Plan #725 and Town Plan board #246 that show the American version of the Town
Plan (dark blue background), and a flat roofed house in #717 Junior Constructor.

The earlier versions of the #725 Town Plan and #246 Town Plan board were exactly
like the continental European #810 Town Plan and #200 Town Plan board.

And the early version of the #717 Junior Constructor (a gabled "manor" house) is
shown as the "dream house" in the #238 Building Idea Book (the very first Lego
idea book) of 1960-68.

Since I was a child I have always wanted to have a copy of the early #717 Junior
Constructor, and I have built this model house (from the #238 book diagram) more
often over the last 44 years than any other Lego building.

I wonder if they even have a prototype of these in the "vault" in Billund.

Thanks,
Gary Istok