 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5366
5365  |  5367
Subject:
Availability and duration of specials - a few questions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:23:56 GMT

Recently the small Life on Mars set #7303 Jet Scooter was on special for
$2.50 AUD, however this set stayed there barely a week, and then vanished
from the store completely.  I was hoping I could order at least a few of
them myself, however, by the time I got money to get the sets, it had sold
out completely.

Realizing that Life on Mars is being discontinued, there seems to be no way
for the buyers to gauge how much stock there is available of a given item on
special, and they certainly don't seem to stay long - this seems to be true
if the set is a really cheap set like #7303, but I have seen some popular
larger sets go quite fast as well.

It is possible some buyers might order relatively large quantities of
specials, however, I do not know if enforcing any kind of policy on these
buyers is justifiable.  (The reason being, of course, that TLG do not want
to drive away customers.)  I do have a few ideas TLG might want to consider
for sets that sell out quickly in the future.

1.  Perhaps make a limited production run of additional sets for the really
popular items, and maybe even visitors to the shop could vote for sets
they'd like to see rerun.

2.  Make a set orderable if the buyer wants a certain set minimum amount
(10x 20x 50x 100x, etc.) of that set type and at a certain minimum cost
price.  This would make it quite easy for the people who want a set for it's
parts to get what they want without impacting on those people who are trying
to get a few sets on special.  This might tie up a few hours of a molding
machine's run in certain instances, perhaps if a large enough amount of
people wanted a given set #, it could be done, if this is even possible in
the first place.

3.  Bring those bulk brick shops to my town in Australia!!  ;-)  I'd
certainly be lining up to get some pieces!!  :-)  And please make a "jumbo"
cup available!  I would want a lot of pieces!!  ;-)  (Mailing address
available on request.)

Other than that I am looking forward to seeing a lot more specials on the
"Web Specials" section for Australia.  Although I am currently hoping that
the Scala items in particular disappear so as to make way for more
specials!!  ;-)  They seem to have a lasting quality!!  ;-)

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

(Remove spamblock to reply.)