 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 533
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 21:42:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
[...]
In light of the size of this discussion (wow) I can't actually imagine Brad
not making a post explaining things as soon as he gets time.  When he does
that, he'll want to clear it with LEGO attorneys, which will also add to the
time.  I probably shouldn't post a copy of it unless I have no other choice.
I can certainly paraphrase, though...give me a bit of time to put something
together.

I just received an email reply from Brad to my earlier message to him today.
He reiterated that the original request was a formal legal request and noted
that he could not give permission for me to post the contents of the message.
He said they are conducting an investigation of why the information was not
safeguarded properly (at the retailer, I assume) and he doesn't feel it is
appropriate to post an explanation publicly until they've had time to learn
more.  He said he'll post an explanation when he has the full facts.

Brad reassured that the information contained in the original post that began
the thread is indeed considered "sensitive" and privileged information between
TLC and its trade partners.

Brad said he appreciates the swift action and feels it is indicative of good
relations between LEGO and the community and welcomes suggestions as to how
LEGO can handle such situations in the future.

In a way, it's a tough position they're in -- from a legal and competitive
standpoint, they have to be protective of their business, yet in doing so
they potentially risk looking like the eight hundred pound gorilla throwing
their weight around.

I can completely understand the alarm they must be feeling over this.  I
don't know if calling for the removal of already leaked information is in
their long-term best interests, but it's certainly their legal right and
it's not my place to judge their legal decisions.  Anyway, I love the hobby
too much to worry about something this small; I know I'll be able to see
the stuff in a couple or three months and in the meantime I'd rather spend
time building and playing.

--Todd