 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 528
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 21:09:08 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Duane Hess writes:
Todd, as the big kahuna, has the right to censor messages at his discretion
since LUGNET IS afterall, his site. He's done it before, he's done it in
this case and I'm sure he'll have to do it again. It's in the best interest
of the LUGNET/TLC relationship.

Whoa whoa whoa!  Watch what you say, please.

For the record, I have *NEVER* censored a message here and never will.

Any message I have ever removed has been under one of four cases:

1.  Someone is unable to cancel their own message for whatever reason and
   specifically requests that it be admin-canceled, and gives the message
   URL or quotes the message in a reply asking that it be cancelled --
   leaving nothing up to interpretation.  This has happened about 10 or 20
   times in the past 2 years.

2.  By request from LEGO, as just happened yesterday, on legal grounds.

3.  Someone accidentally posts two exact copies of the same message to a
   group.  If I happen to notice a pair of messages like this, I do a 'diff'
   and verify that they are identical, and remove the latter.  I do this by
   hand because I haven't put in an automated way to do it.  This isn't
   censorship because it's a purely technical process which corrects for a
   purely technical -- it's currently too easy to accidentally click the
   "Post Message" button twice on the same message in the web interface.

4.  And of course, as a regular user, I have canceled a few of my own
   messages containing typos and replaced them with newer versions.

Please note that asking someone to consider voluntarily cancel their own
message (I think this has only happened twice), with an explanation as to why,
is very very very different from censoring.

--Todd

<sheepish>

Um... OK... I didn't mean that the way it sounded. :-|

</sheepish>

-Duane