 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5070
5069  |  5071
Subject:
Rules for Lego trademarks on T-shirts ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 00:30:23 GMT

Without giving too much away:
I have worked up a high-quality digital version of a logo used in some Lego
product lines.  I would like to have some t-shirts made up with this logo on
them and offer them to LUGnetters for purchase, so they can dress like their
favorite minifigs.  I have researched the US Patent and Trademark office and
have determined that part of the logo/artwork is a live trademark registered
to Interlego.  (Think, for example, the Classic Space t-shirts publicized a
few months ago)  There is nothing on the shirt that says "Lego", no
rendering of a brick, or anything like that.  Unless you're a "brickhead"
you probably won't know what the logo is about.  But TLC holds trademark on
part (or all) of it.

So, without getting sued by Lego, is there a way to do this?  I could, possibly:
1) Design the shirts and offer for sale through Cafe Press or something similar.
2) Design the shirts and offer for sale via Bricklink.
3) Upload the artwork to Brickshelf or other website and include
instructions for how to get them printed by one of the limited-run dye-sub
printers available online.
4) Make shirts for myself and my kids, upload pics to Brickshelf and say,
sorry, you can't have one because Lego will sue me.
5) Some other solution that will allow distribution to others without fear
of lawsuit or retribution.  (make a suggestion here)

I'm not interested in making a profit (although that would be nice) - I just
think it'd be cool to have a shirt with this particular design on it.

Yes, I'm being secretive, because I don't want to look in the next S@H
catalog and see "my" idea offered for sale.

James Wilson,
Dallas, TX