 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 506
Re: 2001 Set info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 03:57:34 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Stanley writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Matthew Miller writes:
Lorbaat <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> wrote:
Ahh, hmm.  So, the information has been released to Target Stores, and
Target has placed it in their computer.  An employee of Target who has
access to that information legally (ie, he was not sneaking into his
bosses' offices) shared it with us, just as he could by store policy if we
walked into the store, and Lego says we can't discuss it?

What if someone goes in to Target, asks an employee for that info, gets it,
and then posts it here?

Interesting question.  The info is out there.  It WILL be discussed.  I've
received numerous copies of it already.  I could simply post it on my website
or to RTL or any number of places (either taking credit for it or as
anonymously as possible) and it could spread from there, as I'm sure it
already has.

I respect Todd's desire to not be the source of leak's, but this sort of thing
is going to happen - it happens with every industry, every product.  And
usually only insanely arrogant companies like Apple decide to make fools of
themselves (and in some cases, draw more attention to the leaks) by demanding
removal of info like this from fan sites.

Apple's quiet crackdown began more than two years ago. Heads rolled, because
they leaked bogus information that was planted to detect the leak. Apple may
have gotten "better publicity" for last month's crackdown on photos of "the
cube", but it was Adobe that changed the leak scene this summer.

Adobe Illustrator 9 is out now, but for rumors of it, Adobe sued Mac News
Network for <sum of death> and will likely extinguish that web publisher. The
chilling effect when real magazine publishers realized they were guilty under
the law for participating in the free-wheeling double standard of spreading this
stuff caused ZDNET to make a decision to discontinue their rumor-fence
columnists. One columnist decried the double standard--Adobe encouraged this
sort of thing not so long ago--but Mac the Knife became scrap last month.
Spencer J. Katt has probably spent his ninth life (I don't know.) By picking on
the little guy with a web site, Adobe has brought the whole trade press to heel.

Things are changing.

In defense of what Apple is doing right now, this guy they are trying to nail
got access to materials that were NEVER available to 1) journalists 2) resellers
or 3) developer partners.   Apple can't be accused of having a double standard
(they're arrogant all the time anyway) but Adobe is the biggest bully this
season.