 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4756
Re: Why the absence of LD in their own newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:01:31 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:

I see no reason, however, why posts from official LEGO users cannot have an
official LEGO sig attached (by the server) and maybe even a header, to make
it obvious they're official.

Actually, the code would have to have a few more rules, but I'm sure Dan or Todd
could whip something up in minutes.

Code basics:
If <sender> contains <@lego.com> and <group> is not <.direct>, append header/footer

Said header/footer (maybe both) would be something like:
This posting, being outside of .direct, is not an official stance of the Lego
Company.  Official stances are posted to {.direct}

Where {.direct} would be a link to the .direct group.  Obviously the wording above
isn't the right statement, but one covering that idea could be created with the
correct wording.

Something like this should be able to be done pretty easily.  Then if Jake were to
reply to a post in another group using his Lego address, and actually DID want it to
be an official statement, he could add .direct (or use follow-up to), and the server
would place the footer in the original group posting, but not in the posting (or
followup) in .direct.

I don't know why this wasn't brought up before, it would seem to solve most, if not
all, of the problems.