 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 465
Re: What's the difference between LEGO Direct and LEGO Shop At Home?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:58:40 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
[...]
In a discussion I had with Todd and Suzanne last week, Todd suggested that we
might want to offer some clarification regarding the respective roles and
activities of LEGO Direct and LEGO Shop At Home,

Just to set the record straight, this was actually requested on June 22 via
email and not during the FTF discussion on July 19, and it was not a mere
"suggestion" that LD "might" want to offer some clarification, but rather a
very serious formal request (concerns summarized below).

as there may have been some confusion as to whether these are interchangeable
(they are not) and whether they're even related (they are).

The concerns were related to Brad's having created and encouraged strong
associations between the following:

1.  The name "Brad Justus" and the name "LEGO Direct" -- i.e., Brad Justus is
    the Senior Vice President of a division of LEGO called "LEGO Direct".

2.  The name "LEGO Direct" and the promise of bulk purchases of LEGO elements
    from LEGO -- i.e., LEGO Direct will sell bulk elements.

3.  The name "LEGO Direct" and the promise of direct-to-consumer sales via the
    Internet -- i.e., LEGO Direct will do via the Internet what LEGO Shop at
    Home Service currently does via telephone.

and a mild association between:

4.  The name "LEGO Direct" and the promise of direct-to-consumer presence
    (online as well as offline, including community building activities).

I stated to Brad that my understanding was that #1 and #4 were correct and that
it had recently come to my attention that #2 and #3 were incorrect, and asked
(I think I actually used the word "admonish") Brad to set the record straight
as soon as possible via public announcement on LUGNET, including statements
apprising the community what LEGO Direct the business is and is not; what LEGO
Direct the name is and is not; that LEGO Direct the business is a competitor
to LUGNET, specifically in the area of community building and possibly other
areas as well; and that LEGO Direct the business does not equal bulk sales;
that LSAH is the actual name under which bulk purchases of LEGO elements will
be sold via the Internet.

Though we don't feel that there is any real "identity crisis" regarding the
roles of LEGO Direct and LEGO Shop At Home, and we don't consider any
confusion that might have occurred up to now to be substantial, I trust that
the following will set the record straight.
[...]

It certainly sets the record straight vis-a-vis bulk purchases, and that is
*excellent*, but Brad, I had hoped as part of your message that you would come
out and state today in no uncertain terms that part of your job is or will be
to create or hire people to create areas of www.lego.com which will compete
with certain aspects of LUGNET.

Steven H. said on the phone a few weeks ago that LEGO Direct won't really
compete with LUGNET (and I can understand this POV from his angle being the
chief of LSAH) but I recall that you mentioned [sans request, agreement, or
understanding that the information be held in confidence] in a phone
conversation in April that you intended to create message boards on
www.lego.com and that the larger picture was "Community, Content, and
Commerce" serving enthusiasts of "Any Age, Any Stage" (i.e., not necessarily
limited to a particular age group or experience level with the product).

I'd like to see the relationship between LEGO Direct and LUGNET go forward
with a fully open understanding that there is inevitably going to be some
overlap (and that's OK!) and that you, as chief of operations of LEGO Direct,
have (naturally and understandably) a very wide variety of motives and not
necessarily only bulk purchases or other direct-to-consumer sales.  Is that
a fair assessment?

Best regards,
--Todd Lehman