 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3961
Re: Shop At Home catalog Engine Shed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 06:10:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bert Waters writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Walsh writes:

"Bert Waters" <lhwaters@hsc.vcu.edu> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:

[ ... snipped ... ]

I was happy to see the reintroduction of the Assorted Roof Tiles (5216) at
$4.99 in the new catalog.

Bert

I don't think it is necessarily a "re-introduction" of 5216, to the best of
my knowledge they have never been unavailable.  They haven't appeared in a
catalog in a while but I have been buying them on and off (usually one or
two packs tacked on an order) for the last six months or so.  It is nice to
see them advertised again as I take it to mean they have a decent stock of
them.

Mike

Now I find out! I wonder what other unadvertised service packs and bulk
element packs are out there.

Bert

Bert, this is generally true of _ALL_ items listed in the Shop@Home Catalogs.

The January catalog is historically brief and a lot of items are not pictured
but they are still available.

In the way of a shopping tip:

When planning your next S@H catalog order, line up the last 4 or 5 catalogs
and use all of them as a guide of what items are available.  Then, write up a
list of the items you want starting with the oldest items first.  These are
the ones that might be sold out but you want them if you can get them.  Put
the
newest items on the _bottom_ of the list as these items will be available in
the future and you can pass on them for now.
Also, if you want older stuff be sure to place your order via telephone during
daylight business hours as items with few in stock are likely not always
listed online.

When you call to order, read off your list in order of oldest to
newest.  If you are lucky and the older items you want are available then you
might not even get to the bottom of your list before you tell the phone
operator that you are done ordering.  Ask for subtotals during the order
process so you know how much you are spending and do not forget to ask for
your order confirmation number.  The order number will allow you to call back
and adjust your order if you need to.

If you have picked out some really old stuff it is likely you will hear "Item
no longer available."  Cross it off the list and keep going.  When I order I
always start with the old stuff first and many times I have been able to get
Lego sets that are up to 4 years old or that have been previously unavailable.
I start with a list that is so long that I might hear "Item not Available" a
dozen or more times until I get lucky on something that is actually still in
stock.  I wonder if the telephone operators hate buyers like me ? :)

Just because an item is not pictured in the latest catalog, DO NOT assume that
it is no longer available.

__Kevin Salm__

.