 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3549
Re: What makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 02:30:37 GMT

           Very nicely said Allen!

I kinda feel sorry for the Lego development team who create Jack Stone.
Cause everybody seams to be targeting their irritation towards this
particular line. Although this angst is justified and has merit, it appears
that Jack Stone is the culmination of everything that is wrong with Lego today.
Perhaps the Jack Stone creators forgot the original Lego credo of ‘a system
of play without boarders.’ When they created a specialized new line that
doesn’t integrate well into the collective. But this could be easily
remedied if TLG just listened to a few AFOL who appear to have
some really good suggestions.

---

***Here’s a summary of a few legitimate points:

#1. Bring the Legends line to the general public with a slick new ad campaign.

#2. Create re-mastered versions of older sets. Such as variants or modern
equivalents.      (Like a Dark Gray 375 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/375_2)

#3. Don’t kill a good line just when it gets started.
(Analogy: Lego is targeting a market segment and it’s using buck shots from
a shot gun to bring down its target market, instead, it should use focused,
controlled, repetitive rifle shots that are precise.) What my violent
parallel is attempting to confer is to build up a particular theme [e.g.
Town] and keep adding to the line and develop it further. That’s how you
gain customer loyalty, not through one-time, hid-and-run themes!

#4. And finally, just listen to us!?!
There’s a great deal of us here who are educated enough, market savvy
enough, and just plain taken by the product that we're worth $Millions$ in
research and product testing.

<Gump On>

       And that’s all I have to say about that,

<Gump Off>

                       --==RiçhärÐ==--

        You can reach me  @
Shroud_of_Kung_Fu@Hotmail.com

.                                                     -Lego good, Canada great-®

In lugnet.lego.direct, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Dave Lovelace writes:
The Legend idea was thrilling to me in June.  I've since had some time to
realize how bad it is, though.  Problems:

1)  Your mail-order-only / internet market is a bunch of older people like
me who already have five Galaxy Explorers and thirteen Yellow Castles or
whatever....why do we need yet another one in some ugly 2001 grey box with
no flap?  What is the point?

Ummm, is this true?  Aren't there any kids out there without access to a
Toys-R-Us who perhaps count on the Shop At Home catalog to fulfill birthday
and Christmas lists?  If the Shop At Home stuff is just for adults, then why
don't they put out a catalog that reflects this?

As a person who built an entirely new LEGO collection (separate from his
childhood stuff) what is needed is definitely some of the old sets (I don't
have a single Galaxy Explorer, as I don't buy LEGO off eBay) along with a
very healthy mix of new and well-designed sets.

And as far as the mail-order only goes... that in itself is perhaps one of
the greatest failings of the Legends stuff.  The fact that it's not
available in stores means that people like me, who will not order from out
of country, will never spend dollars on these sets.  Put them in the stores
where I can see and hold them.  I will buy them there.  I won't buy out of
the catalog across the border.  Sorry.

2)  Even if you did rehash some great old models, you need to win over the
mainstream again to get back on track.  You don't need more money from us
S@H LugNET types.

Quite the contrary.  They need all the sales they can get.

You had us at "hello," and you had us in 1979.  I
understand your budget is low, but if it never included marketing, then it's
simply too low.

The low budget isn't so much the problem as the LOW exposure this stuff is
getting.  Simply dropping the Guarded Inn into the summer catalog and saying
that it's "now available again", does nothing to promote this revolutionary
(for this company) line of products.  Promote the heck out of it in the
catalog upon which you are already spending budgeted dollars.

Promote the heck out of it on your website, upon which you are already
spending budgeted dollars.

Put these sets in the stores!  For the love of Pete, put this stuff where
people can see it and buy it.  If these sets are worth reissuing (and I
believe many of the old ones are) then they are also worth some shelf space.
Take whatever funds you have budgeted for retail sales of Jack Stone and
reroute it to the Legends series.

Of all the stupid moves to come out of any company in the last decade are
the following two statements that litter the LEGO catalogs.  They are:

1)  Not Available In Any Store

2)  Hard To Find

Take the guy who came up with these concepts, put him in a basement office,
with no windows, along with the Jack Stone development team.  1/2 of all
problems at the company are now solved.

LEGO bricks are a toy.  The sets were once fun and beloved.  The best of
these sets could once be found on toy store shelves.  Now the best of these
sets must be ordered from a faceless voice on the phone or by clicking some
keys on a keyboard.  Where is the fun in this?

Past this, I'll just tell you what you'd rather hear, and cast some majority
votes concerning the line in case you insist on continuing it:

Why not tell them what you think?  Give them the chance to respond, as any
smart company would, with positive changes aimed at getting more of your
money into their vault?

Regards,
Allan