 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3492
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:10:27 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Geoffrey Hyde writes:

How does not having the mold for an element affect it's reproducibility?  I
would have thought that with all of the latest and greatest laser measuring
technology there would be *some* way of getting a new master mold for a
particular piece, providing you had the original piece to measure off from.

Sure, there is SOME way

But there is probably a cost involved in doing this so you're not too keen
on it for that reason?

But that's it. Cost. This is a low budget operation and molds are not cheap.
Precision tolerances are pricey. I have heard numbers batted around that I
have a bit of faith in even though they were speculation... these numbers
are 10-50K  USD PER MOLD.

Well, I think you need to tell people how far you could be willing to go
with the changes - you didn't seem very clear about just how far you were
able to go ...  And that, could be as helpful as people posting about what
they want.  Which, of course, is as far as you can possibly get it.  ;-)

I think you missed/reversed the sense of this question. They can go as far
as they want, what is being asked is how far (in deviation from the
original) is acceptable. They could issue a single BURP in a bag and call it
airport shuttle, but that ridiculous example (reductio ad absurdium) shows
that some distances are TOO far. What they are looking for is what sorts of
changes *are* acceptable.

Some examples that may help clarify:

Consensus seems clear on metal wheels. The sorts of metal wheels they cannot
make any more, we are OK not to get. Likewise for hollow stud minifig heads
and some other part substitutions.

Consensus seems less clear on stickers. There is a camp that wants printed
because of the fading and deterioration aspect and there is a camp that can
accept stickers rather than no set at all.