 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3324
Re: australia and new zealand, your moment has come!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.loc.au.qld.bri
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 19:44:42 GMT

This is excellent!!!!!!!

We'd all better start saving then, eh!!

I knew it would come - now I can build that large sized space cruiser I've
always wanted to :)

*super grin*

Zac

I am pleased to announce that LEGO Shop At Home service will be available to
Australia and New Zealand beginning Thursday, October 4 (yes, October 4 of
this year, for the cynics among you...).

You will be able to order essentially the entire LEGO retail assortment (as
seen in our online shop) as well as all LEGO Direct exclusive items (trains,
sculptures -- including the Sopwith Camel and the new Star Wars sculptures
-- bulk elements, and more). Pricing will be in your local currencies; for
retail items, prices will be consistent with what you'd expect to pay in
your local shop. LEGO Direct exclusive items will be priced consistently
with what you see on LEGO.com, adjusted for currency rates. (For example,
the Sopwith Camel will be AUD 76.95 and NZD 89.95.)

Initially, you will be able to place orders only through the online shop
(http://shop.lego.com); we are planning to add freephone order service in a
few weeks. Shipments will come from the LEGO Direct fulfillment center in
Europe; due to the significant time difference, this will have the
interesting effect of being able to have your order shipped the day before
you place it (how's that for service?).

As those of you Down Under are no doubt aware, shipping costs to Australia
can be very high. We are working with our carriers to minimize these costs
as much as possible, and we will also be subsidizing rates to you for the
introductory period. But we would encourage you to think of creative ways to
reduce these costs further, such as working with your local LUGs to group
your orders together into one order wherever possible.

We don't really have the opportunity at the moment to promote or advertise
LEGO Shop At Home in Australia or New Zealand, so anything you can do to
spread the word of its availability is very much appreciated.

Our team has worked very hard over the past few months to offer LEGO Shop At
Home to Australia and New Zealand -- overcoming the technical and logistic
issues has not been easy, but we think that you'll find it was worth the
wait. We look forward to serving you and offering you the same terrific
service that our other LEGO Shop At Home countries enjoy. (For the record,
you will be the 14th and 15th countries to which we offer service -- we
added France at the beginning of the month and Finland this week.
Switzerland is coming soon.)

Shop Well! (And then, of course, Play Well.)

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct

P.S. Will someone please cross-post this to the relevant groups (such as
loc.au); I can't post there. Thanks.