 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2839
Re: Lego Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:00:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Tim Courtney writes:
"Nick Randal" <dnr360@netzero.net> wrote in message
Hello everyone.  I am new to posting at Lugnet so if this has been discussed
before forgive me.  I just want to know why Lego does not sell
specific, individual parts.  The Bulk Ordering in Shop-at-home
is great but why can't Lego take it a step further and let us choose
the parts we need/want?
Its fine if you have sets that are missing parts and you want them
replaced but what if I want 100 1x1 tiles or what have you?
Shouldn't Lego cater to the demand?

Hi Nick, welcome to Lugnet!

*sigh* :)

This has been discussed at length here on Lugnet and on RTL (rec.toys.lego) for
years.  To answer your question, I'll try to be as brief as I can, but because
I'm very interested in the issue, I might ramble.

The biggest reason (that I gather) why LEGO does not sell individual parts is
based on how they manufacture and store parts themselves internally.  With the
way their production runs are set up and how they package sets, it would be very
hard to fulfill individual orders of this nature.  Also, I don't believe the
demand is high enough for them to spend the money to develop facilities which
would make this possible on a large scale.

Model shops and internal departments at LEGO order individual parts from the
factory, but, believe it or not, they're limited on what they can order.  Their
orders have to center around when a certain part is molded so they know it will
be in stock, and sometimes they are limited by colors for certain reasons
(possibly including what type of plastic is used for what part, the cost or
availability of colored pellets, etc).

That's the shortest answer I can come up with.  I moved the thread over to
lego.direct so that any possible discussion of bulk bricks falls in the
appropriate place :-)

-Tim

Thanks Tim, for the welcome and the explanation.