 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2006
Re: Old question for LEGO Direct
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:39:48 GMT

Hi Gary,

I asked around about this, and as far as I was able to find out, TLC is not
planning any "40th Anniversary" celebrations in 2001. The official date that
we are counting from appears to be 1973 for the US, as you noted below. So
that reckoning doesn't count the Samsonite years. Of course, this is a
semantic distinction in some ways, so I wouldn't let that stop you from
doing your own 40th Anniversary celebrations, if you so desire.

Tomas Clark
Producer, LEGO Direct

In lugnet.lego.direct, Gary Istok writes:
Hi Jake, Tomas and folks at LD.

I have asked this questions a few times before, but I was still
wondering......

2001 is the 40th Anniversary of LEGO in the USA.  But due to the
Samsonite years of 1961-72, I don't think that LEGO recognizes it as
such (the 25th Anniversary bucket of 1998 celebrates the 1973 start date
of TLC Enfield).  Is 2001 not considered a milestone year??

I plan on doing a public LEGO display this year with the heading "40
Years of LEGO in America".  But I wondered the TLC take on the date.
One reason this gets interesting is that TLC didn't take over LEGO from
Samsonite in Canada until 1986.  I was on a 1987 Canadian TV show "THE
JOURNAL" celebrating 25 years of LEGO in Canada (Detroit is only 1 mile
from Canada).  And who was on the show as well ..... Peter Eio  --- the
North American LEGO President.  It appears that Canada does include the
Samsonite years in its' date calculations, but the USA does not?  I am
confused.

Gary Istok