 LEGO Company / 788
Re: Nicely now. What do you think of the new colors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:40:14 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

   I would ask that you reply to this thread with your thoughts and feelings about the color issue, both for and against.

Jake,

I really don’t much care one way or the other exactly what the colours are - whatever shade of grey we have will be right for something and not quite right for something else.

HOWEVER I’m very upset that standard colours should change on me. Like many others here, I’ve invested quite a lot in my current collection of light and dark grey pieces, and the prospect of being unable to extend it does not please me. In particular, the prospect of having to start all over does nothing to help my loving relationship with your employers.

I don’t know exactly how much I’ve spent on LEGO, but last time I estimated my collection (a couple of years ago) it was hovering around the 200,000 piece mark. I know there are plenty of people with more, but even so I would hope this made me a customer that the company wanted not to upset too badly.

   Again, we are not changing the colors back, and from what I know now, we aren’t considering it. This is an information gathering mission only.

I’m disappointed by that, and I really think the issue should be reconsidered. Someone made a bad mistake. Ploughing on and pretending that everything is all right is not the right way to handle it. I’d have thought maintaining the new greys as distinct (and possibly minority) colours while continuing to produce the old ones would be most likely to upset the fewest people. I can’t see that minor changes in the shades of grey are going to make much of a difference to the large market of people who occasionally buy a LEGO set for someone’s birthday or for Christmas. It makes a big difference to some of the relatively big spenders though.

Andrew Lipson