 LEGO Company / 393
Re: LEGO Suggested Ages of Play
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 18:10:19 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ed Andrews writes:
Looking over some old product catalogues from the seventies, Duplo products
used to be listed as ages 1 to 3 and the classic creator sets started at 3.
Now I see Duplo / Explorer sets starting at anywhere from 1.5 to 3 years old
as the minimum age, with creator sets starting at 5.  I thought that part of
the reason behind the original Duplo line was due to product safety's
testing using the windpipe test.  Doesn?t a 2 x 2 Duplo brick pass this test?

I know that no one at LEGO will endorse having an eight month old play with
Duplos, but aside from the bath tug boat, Primos are no long holding my
son's interest.  Obviously supervision is required with all products, but
couldn?t a Primo be chipped or broken and pose a choking hazard?

Well, myself being the father of a 2 year old, I can say that my wife and I
don't pay a ton of attention to the age limits on toys.  I find that they are
more there for liability reasons that for functional reasons.  Granted kids
grow and mature at different rates so you child may be different but my son has
been playing with Duplo since just before his first birthday with no problems
at all.  The Primo has been packed away awaiting baby #2 for several months now.

We mostly research toys first with our son's abilities in mind and unless there
is a huge discrepancy in the age range on the box and my son's age then we
mostly ignore whats on the box.  Our son doesn't put much other than food in
his mouth any more either so thats also a big factor although I don't know
anyone that could swallow a 2x2 duplo but I am sure there is someone out there
that could.

I have friends that are very strict on the age ranges on packaging and won't
let anything outside of their childs age range to be played with.  Thats one
approach but I prefer doing a little research and judging for myself if my son
can play safely with a toy.

My 2 cents,

Eric Kingsley