 LEGO Company / 3019
Re: Is Neon sign with Lego logo OK to produce & sell
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:45:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Jake (and others),

I just came across this neon Lego sign (newly produced in Asia) that sports the
official Lego logo.  Does this violate any company copyrights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19027&item=5943832001&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Gary Istok

Good catch, Gary.

The sign seems like a simple slab of acrylic laser-etched with the LEGO
lettering/font style.  It's probably side-lit by a small flourescent bulb, and
they're not shy about overcharging for shipping.  It does look kinda cool once
lit up.

They're certainly not trying to pawn off bootleg/inferior building elements, but
they are using the corporate trademark in a commercial fashion that LEGO would
probably object to.  If I was a LEGO lawyer (and I don't want to be) I'd rather
see a sign like this created by a hobbyist, and not sold in quantity for profit
to the general public.  If it was something neato that a club member whipped up
for internal distribution, I'd guess that wouldn't violate their Fair Play
policy.

Somebody's trying to make money off the LEGO logo by direct inference, but
they're not selling a competing product.  I can't decide.

Ed