 LEGO Company / 2917
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:40:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Johannes Koehler wrote:

Limited. Sure. Like the "limited" run that made us buy out the first run,
huh? How many collectors, do you think, bought this set because they were
hooked by the prospect of getting a rare and limited set?

How many of those "collectors" went out and said they had hundreds at 200 USD
each for sale?

Personally I'm not sure I have a lot of sympathy for collectors that want to
buy up multiple copies of a new set and thus make it harder for others to get
copies. (Precious Princess, call your office!) Or for collectors that make
decisions about what they collect based on percieved scarcity. Collect
because you like the set!

I love that set. I got 5 copies myself, and I even got some of my friends
that weren't going to buy 5 themselves to sell me some of theirs, but I did
it because I wanted the parts for projects. And I'll likely be using them for
just that. [...]

If Maersk and LEGO decide to make more Maersk blue sets, I think that's just
great. It is reason for a celebration, not for wailing about broken promises.

But that's just me, I guess. This is going to be another "bash Jake" string,
I just know it.  I blanch at the very thought. Why? Why must we go there
every time Jake brings us news?

   Agreed 100%.  I don't wander out of the woodwork too
   often these days (and this is liable to change very
   soon--glory of glories, I get my collection back in
   MI close to New Years', and will have all 1400lb. in
   one place again), but the "super-collector" wing has
   always bothered me a bit.  It's great to collect to
   have a complete run, or to have something not generally
   available (which 10152 will *still* be, you know) but
   those who are effectively speculating on it should
   realize that the market has its vagaries.

   Besides, I missed out on 10152, being away, and I had
   despaired of a chance to get this set and its parts.
   Now I will have that opportunity!

   What totally floors me is the people in this thread
   screaming about TLC "lying" while damning Jake with
   faint praise for being earnest.  Look at what Jake
   did here:  He made the announcement, he explained
   VERY COMPLETELY AND CAREFULLY the extremely good
   and valid reason the decision was taken, and left the
   info with us.  This is not like the color change at
   all; it does not have any valence of Kafka to it
   whatsoever.  As angry as I was about that first
   decision, I am totally ambivalent about this one,
   aside from wanting the set to become available again.

   The only bad news, as Jake pointed out, is that the
   dark blue version may not come to pass, or may come
   only later.  That makes me sad, because dark blue is
   much better for me than Maersk Blue, but hey, that's
   how it goes sometimes.

   So thanks again to Jake, for hoeing this tough, tough
   row--and I'll be buying one, at least.

   regards

   LFB / 120