 LEGO Company / 174
Re: article about the enfield situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:14:10 GMT

Much as I'd like to believe that, I bet money was wasted on other
things, trying to "grow the brand".  I wonder how much they blew
on the RockRaiders, with the comic scenes and video game and
total-theme research.  I wonder the same about Action Team.
I wonder how much was spent on internal projects - the CAD costs
and fabrication enhnacements to do parts like the Slizers (which
I love).  How much was written off on Znap?  Those LEGO pens are
a piece of garbage - the bricks are not even ABS.  Speaking of
non-ABS, those huge road plates and the collectable minifig stands
seem to forbode a lot of non-abs packaging, like the throwbot cases
and the new what-are-they-smoking Racer sets. How much did that fab
setup cost?  How much are all these new colors costing, in terms of
storage and sorting and logistics? TLG is all over the map, and
when that happens you know lots of money was spent on R&D years
before we ever saw the sets.
-gyug

In lugnet.lego, Nathan McDowell writes:

Do they even understand that one of the reasons they're losing money is
because they're dumbing down their educational building toy product?  They
start losing money (for the first time ever, apparently) around the same
time as they introduce dumbed down juniorized products.