 LEGO Company / 1267
Re: Minifig heads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 03:55:02 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Eric McCarthy wrote:
Of course that is why, although I think that problem is solvable.
However, you took my comment out of context.

The true irony here is that I started to explain a reason for why the heads are
still attached, but I got halfway through it and decided that it was superfluous
to the cape bit, so I trimmed that part out.

I was asserting that if they left the head attached to the torso out
of concern for young children seeing headless torsos, then they should
also attach the capes, since having to actively remove the head
is even worse.  Therefore, I doubt that is the reason they attach the
heads to torsos.  Or maybe it is the reason and the cost of solving
the cape problem trumps the concern for kids having to remove heads.

I suspect it might have something to do with weight considerations.  I've gotten
sets that were missing one or two of the 1x1 round plates, and a single minifig
head doesn't weigh much more than two of those plates.  It's possible that a
missing head wouldn't trigger the weight sensors while a missing torso/head
combo would.  And if a set ships without a head, how much more traumatized do
you think kids are going to be over having to perform a temporary nogginectomy
to put the cape one?