 Inventories / 507
506  |  508
Subject:
Rectangular 4,5V battery boxes - correction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts, lugnet.inv
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 20:06:49 GMT

The description of parts "x468*" on Peeron is incorrect. This post is only a try
to make it better but somebody can disagree with me (that's why I am not posting
it directly to Peeron).

There were three main types of rectangular boxes for three 1,5V cells:

Type I - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x468cx4
- The actual dimensions of this part are 7 x 11 x 3, not counting the switch
handle (the 7 studs made of "6-wide block with side overhangs").
- The lid is permanently connected with the box by two wires. There is no need
to give the lid a separate part identity.
- suggested name: "Electric 4.5V Battery Box 7 x 11 x 3 with Bottom Opening"
(the existing "separated end" seems incomprehensible to me)

Type II - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x468cx3
- This assembly consists of two parts: box (with bottom plugs; dimensions 7 x 11
x 2 2/3) and lid (dimensions 7 x 11 x 1/3). Total dimensions 7 x 11 x 3. The lid
is interchangeable with Type III.

Type III - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x468
- This assembly also consists of two parts and is compatible with Type II.
However, the box has no bottom plugs and the lid is as high as 2 plates (making
the total dimensions 7 x 11 x 3 1/3).

Were there cross-combinations of Types II and III? In case there weren't, we can
keep the existing part numbering and correct the names only.

-Martin

P.S. Thanks to Reinhard Beneke for his pages on LEGO Motor History (
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=267111 ). The note "battery size
has grown somewhen during the seventies" made me think about the differences
between battery boxes.