 Harry Potter / 387
Re: First True Harry Potter Pics!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 02:13:08 GMT

Every so often TLC reminds us that they make...(drumroll)...TOYS.
For...(another drumroll)...KIDS.  Further, that these toys are often poor!
Very poor!!  I've got a soft spot for the Cerberus Rock Monster clunker, but
only because I'm a big dork.

It's one thing when we sit around here and talk about the kind of sets we're
used to from our own childhood, but spending so much time talking about this
genre, at our age, seems kind of silly.  Did our parents ever have in-depth
conversations about Go-Bots™ during 1983 dinner parties (the eighties'
answer to chat rooms and message boards)?

At least the old Legoland stuff challenged our brains, and left a lot to our
imaginations.  What do we have now, for crying out loud?  Spoon-fed
cardboard backdrops, for sets based on a consciously-saturated license,
featuring something like ten different elements per set.

(Then there's the stuff for the older kids:  Bionicle robots whose
interlocking capacity allows nothing much more than switching their arms
with their legs.)

Lego is/was the last bastion for creativity on the toy store shelves.  With
all this video game bullcrap everywhere taking up my 5 and 8 year-olds'
brains, I looked hopefully to Lego to offer them some stimulation.

Instead, my kids build their new sets in about fourteen seconds and
badda-bing..."Dad, we're bored...whadda we do now..."

That's usually about the time I give them one of my old Classic sets to play
with, but guess what?  Their attention spans don't allow them much past step
4 or 5 of any of them.  And they need to take a long nap after even LOOKING
at the Yellow Castle.

I suppose I have only myself to blame, for allowing them to watch TV for
even 30 minutes a day, or letting their grandparents buy them Game Boys for
Christmas.

We're moving to Greenland.  Snow is real creative.  And my kids must have
enough BURP's by now to make a friggin' igloo.

--Dave (jot and jab)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx