 Harry Potter / 385
Re: First True Harry Potter Pics!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 01:08:42 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.harrypotter, Aaron Dalan writes:
In lugnet.harrypotter, Shiri Dori writes:

You're right and that's probably why it's small, but if you post details
about the plot, please post a spoiler notice! People might not have read it
yet.

We still need spoiler notices years after the book came out?  I can see the
reason for spoiler warnings for new works, but...

  You know, this brings to mind an episode from Livy's _Ab urbe
  condita_, written nearly two thousand years ago but just as
  pertinent today:

***WARNING SPOILER ALERT***
***WARNING SPOILER ALERT***
***WARNING SPOILER ALERT***

  Ahem.  Um, just kidding.  :D

Well, wind up the audience and let them down... I shall not however!

"The last to attack Romulus' city were the Sabines. Their plans were
carefully laid, and backed by treachery. For Spurius Tarpeius, the commander
of the Roman citadel, had a daughter, a young girl, who, when she had gone
outside the walls to fetch water for a sacrifice, was bribed by Tatius, king
of the Sabines. When she admitted a party of his soldiers into the fortress,
she was crushed to death under their shields, to make it look as if they
took the place by storm -- or it may be to show by harsh example that there
must be no trusting a traitor.

"There is also a story that this girl had demanded as the price of her
services 'what they had on their shield-arms.' Now the Sabines in those days
used to wear on their left arms heavy gold bracelets and fine jewelled
rings. They kept their bargain! paying, however, not, as the girl hoped,
with golden bracelets, but with what else they had on their arms."

-Titus Livius