 General / 9617
Re: Fort Legoredo From S@H had Asian Catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 20:27:47 GMT

"R2" <r2eng@primenet.com> wrote in message news:FKovvJ.8B8@lugnet.com...
We just received our new Fort Legoredo from US S@H and much to our
surorise it contained 1 1996 Asian catalog. From inspecting the box,
I thought it was a european set.  The cover of the catalog is the same
as the european version, then much to our surprise everything was
written in Japanese (or Chinese?) with alternate arabic (?) lettering.
Has anyone had this happen from S@H?

Yes, I've had this happen before.  This typically happens near the end
of a product's cycle, when all of the US (or North American, or actually
now just "Americas") packaged versions of a set have been sold.  To meet
demand in the US, S@H will often import sets other parts of the world,
where supply may have exceeded demand.

It also occurs for sets that are not scheduled for availablity for US
retail.  In that case, the sets are brought to the US as "S@H only"
sets, and are not re-boxed with US printing and literature.  These
sets are typically European, but not always.

In your case, the former situation applies since Fort Legoredo was
not a S@H only set.

Does anyone know what language these catalogs are printing?

If you look on the front of the catalog, there ought to be a code
near the bottom, containing at least one letter.  "J" is for Japan.
Does the code have a "J" in it?  I'm not sure of which other codes
exist of various asian countries, but someone here probably knows
(Kevin Loch?).

Please excuse my ignorance if my guess on the origin of these
languages are way off. I would be happy to send a scan to anyone
that may be able to help.