 General / 8763
8762  |  8764
Subject:
Newbie overwhelmed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj.new, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 00:49:11 GMT

Hello Legoids!  I have just recently caught Legomania having realized I
didn't explore these wonders as much as I might have as a kid.  I work
for Bell Labs in Murray Hill.  So I'm a newbie... I've found some great
resources like RTL, Lugnet, and ebay... but my biggest problem is that
I'm overwhelmed and don't really know where to start!  I think I will
want to get into things that move at some point, but have an awful lot
of Star Wars, Technic?, Mindstorm?, etc. to catch up on.

I'd love some advice on what people feel are "Must Have"! :)  Here's my
posting to RTL from today:

Hi all,

I am starting to buy Legos for my 6-year-old stepson Billy.  (Well OK,
they're for me too.)  He loves his bigger Megabloks but he's very
creative and mechanically inclined so I'm letting him try real Legos.

I'm giving him the silver tub of 600 to get started.  But he loves
cars, trucks, etc. so I bought a red smaller tub of 400 which had
wheels, propellers, etc.

If he really digs all this stuff like I think he will, where's a good
place to look from there?  The train sets look terriffic but I'm a
little scared of the prices.  (What does it cost to put together a
reasonable train set?  I'm not above ebay.)  Also, is there some kind
of smaller (maybe $40 or less?) Star Wars set somewhere?

Maybe I should just wait and see what he likes, then let him tell
(ask) me!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

--
     -- Adam
Adam Porter: Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies  Murray Hill, NJ