 General / 8278
Re: Lego in the Classroom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 02:43:26 GMT

GEORGE SIKORA <gsikora@swbell.net> wrote in article

The following link is to an article on Lego to build engineering and
computer skills.

In Monday's Houston Chronicle
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/education/351449

What makes me just cry is that LEGO is so proud of the educational
possibilities of its products that it farms out the burden of selling them
to an outside company.  I know that products in the Dacta line may not be
as 'fun' as Cyberstorms but I'm sure a company as big as TLG can find a
department somewhere within its organization that could handle selling a
fabulous product to a worthwhile organization like..... a school. (Please
read sacrcasm into that previous statement if you didn't already)

How about putting the LEGO employees in Canada to work on a project like
this?  (I'm really only half-kidding here folks, those people need jobs)

It honestly breaks my heart to see the shame with which LEGO approaches the
subject that their product may, in some little way, actually be thought of
as educational... ON TOP of being probably the best toy created in this
century.  And calling it educational does not erase its ability to sell at
Toys 'R Us either.  In many ways tying an educational product line to a
similar one sold in stores is the ultimate marketing ploy.  Why not get
kids hooked on a toy when they're learning something useful, using that
same toy?

Apologies in advance for this brief rant.

Best regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm