 General / 8193
8192  |  8194
Subject:
Take the LEGO Set Challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 08:59:16 GMT

Hello Everyone;

Bill asked why old sets are better than newer ones in most people's
eyes...

I could take a few hours and give you a few hundred examples of great
sets, their features and why they are vastly superior to much of what
is produced today.  But I'm a bit busy right now. I offer one simple
example, and a new test I have devised for all of us AFOL.

Today: the cars I got with my passenger train set have a block for
each door.

Yesterday: the cars had much better door pieces that actually opened.
Imagine that!

Why is this the case??  Beats the hell out of me...

Ask yourself which looks nicer?  Which works better?  Which has more
play value?

Still have doubts, AFOL, please try the following experiment:

I ask that you go to: http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/ and examine a
couple dozen sets in any series 1000, 2000, 3000, etc...  It would be
best if all twenty sets are approximately the same size, but not
crucial.

I would suggest the people choose a different series from the one they
normally buy.  I buy mostly Technic sets (8000 Series) so I would use
another series for a fair test.  One I am not familiar with and don't
normally buy.

Try to be objective as possible.  Judge the set on any criteria you
normally use to decide if a set is worth buying.  Even if you hate the
theme, sets you're looking at, pretend you're buying them for someone
who does, ask yourself what they would like best in this series or
theme.

Examine the set images closely, and then look at the building
instructions.

Now rank each set.

Now date (year produced) each set using Lugnet's Set Search...

Do you see any correlation between the ranking of the twenty sets you
examined and the year they were produced in?

I have a guess as too what you will find.  Please post your test
results (if you want), comments, and thoughts after taking the test.

I will have to try this myself.

<ICS>