 General / 744
Re: Box Scans?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 00:49:29 GMT

I have a few box scans that are included with the instructions,
xxxx-b1,-b2 etc.
People just haven't uploaded many.  I think the problem is finding a big
enough flatbed
scanner.  Try scanning 6991 sometime :)

My brother works at a company that manufactures large format scanners
(up to 60" wide), but they use
roller-feed (like large plotters) so the materials need to be flattened.

KL

Todd Lehman wrote:

Jeff Johnston <sakura@mediaone.net> writes:

Is there anyplace on the net that has an archive of
box scans (showing the alternate models)?

Would such an archive cause problems with TLG? I can't
imagine it would, since there are instruction scan
sites, and the LUGNET databases with catalog scanned
pictures...

I don't have the time to handle this, but I think it'd
make a great addition to the PAUSE database on LUGNET -
maybe a link to click and see alternate model pics?

Once I get my scanner working, I could scan in a few
Castle sets...

Cool, how many Castle sets do you have?  It's part of our long-term plan to
gather up scans of all the alternative models from boxes, and link these in
with the set database for easy clickage and findage.  I have all boxes for
all the Space sets (except 453 & 454, but Joshua just filled in 454 tonight!
:) and all the Aquazone sets...  Our flatbed scanner isn't big enough to do
some of the larger boxes, but multiple passes can be made and pieced
together using software.

If anyone has box images to contribute, they can be uploaded to

   ftp://ftp.lugnet.com/incoming/

and I'll start organizing these along with the other set images.

What we're headed towards ultimately is hosting:

   1.  Front panel scan of instruction booklet (where available), showing
       the set in its most preferred canonical mode according to TLG.
       These images are often very similar to the image on the front of
       the box.

   2.  Box panels -- front, back, and inside flap (where available).

   3.  Individual scenes and/or alternative models from the box and/or
       instruction booklets.  (These come from cropping the large images
       in #2 into multiple separate and indexable images.)

And of course links off-site to building instruction scans.  We have gobs of
disk space, so it's for legal reasons that we would rather give external
links to instruction scans rather than hosting them directly.  We don't mind
directly hosting box scans, however.

--Todd

p.s.  75 dpi JPEGs are probably the way to go...